Thursday, September 4, 2014

Guided by the Spirit

Hello family and friends,

I can't believe it has already been a week since I emailed last! Time seems to be flying by. I am doing very well and am loving it here in California. Who knew that it would be 111 degrees here in the middle of August! That is one of the hardest things here. It just gets so hot and people don't have air conditioning. I sweat a lot but honestly am loving the work.

On Friday my companion and I decided to count how many times we were going to pray that day... the final count was... drum roll.... 37! We said 37 prayers in one day. That doesn't count any of the prayers that you say in your heart on a given day. I was amazed but at the same time it shows how much we need the Lord in the work that we are doing.
I am amazing at how the Spirit is always there to guide us. We are helping an 18 year old with mission prep and we were having a very hard time trying to help him. While we were talking I had a very strong feeling to ask what HE needed and not just teach him what we felt like he needed. It was amazing. He was able to open up to us about some problems he was having and now we know exactly how we can help teach him instead of just a lesson. Another story like that was we were visiting a less active girl named Angie. We had gone to visit some other investigators but they told us they weren't interested... (that was sad because they were my favorite.) and we had seen her outside. We went in and talked to her and my companion just said lets teach her about repentance. I was so confused. That seemed like weird for trying to get her back to church. However, the spirit was there and after we finished she said that she had been praying for help with that. Wow. Isn't that amazing how the Spirit guides us?!

We have another investigator named Lupe. She is about 40 years old and has two sons. She goes to church every week. She prays. She reads the Book of Mormon. She does EVERYTHING! She has a really strong testimony but says that she isn't ready to be baptized. We asked her why and she said she didn't know. She wants to be baptized but needs to wait a bit. I was frustrated at first but then I felt peace. I know that she will be baptized but just isn't ready quite yet. We are still visiting her and she is a wonderful investigator. 

As missionaries we love doing service. Usually though, people don't ask us for help! We have another investigator named Laura who got in a huge fight with her husband, or man she is living with... and had to move out that night with her 5 kids. We were able to go and help her pack up and move. Even if she isn't ready for the gospel yet we know that she trusts the church and the members. That is the best part. Hopefully some day she will be able to feel the love of Heavenly Father! Now we are just trying to help her find a new apartment.

Well, there is so much to say but so little time. I honestly am loving the work. I want you all to know that I know that the church is true. God loves each and every one of us and never leaves us. I am so grateful for this opportunity to be a mission in His church.

Love you all!

Love,
Hermana Morey

No comments:

Post a Comment