Friday, April 18, 2014

Exclamation Points!

Buenos Dias!!!!!

Hola from Colombia!! Sorry I don't have a ton of time so don't judge my spelling. Guys, I am litterally shaking right now. I can't even handle it!! How are you?!?!?!?! This has been a crazy week!! Oh my goodness. I have survived the first week and a half. Time here is really weird. It goes by so extemely slowly but quickly at the same time! I swear that yesterday was Sunday and then I blinked and it is today. I love it though. The people here are amazing and I have made so many friends. 

So, to start, they say that we need to be up by 6;30 in the morning but what I didn't know is that I would be getting up at 5:45 every morning. While I am a little tired it hasn't been as bad as I thought. There are 55 missionaries here right now. 25 girls and 30 boys. That feels like a ton!!! The Latinas are all very nice and  love to talk to us. They are all extremely happy and fun to be around. 

I don't know if I mentioned but the food here is different. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day and it is wonderful!!! We generally have 2 meats, a bowl of soup, and a plate of rice. It is a ton of food. It is so different but good. I love almost everything I have tried! Occasionally they try and make North American food and it is good but different. 

We went to the Temple on Tuesday! What an experience. The drivers here are absolutely crazy. They turn in front of other drivers and and I swear we almost wrecked 25 times. It was really cool though to see how everyone just drove with confidence! I am so glad I am not driving at all. Every single building here is tagged. Apparently Graffiti isn't a crime because it is litterally everywhere. I love this culture! (not enough to bring stuff like that home...) The temple was beautiful and a lot different from the Jordan River. It was really hard to do it in Spanish and even though I got to have it translated I still had to do the hard part in Spanish. But I survived!! It was a really cool experience and I can't wait to go back on Tuesday

Let me be a little honest here... Spanish is hard. I am not really patient with myself which is hard. There are some Hnas here that are just so good at speaking it that I feel so behind! In reality I am doing very well. I can't believe I can sort of communicate! (if people speak slowly...) I am progressing though which is what really matters. I do enjoy it and am starting to speak it subconsously... I spelled that wrong..)

Thank you so much for the notes and the movie quotes that you hid in my bag!! I loved them all! I was still finding them throughout the week and enjoyed them all. It was really fun to remember movies and read letters from you. 

There is an Elder in our districe, Elder Noriega, who seems to be super pessimistic about everything. He always tells us what he hates and yesterday we got a little annoyed so all of the girls decided to wear purple. (he says purple is the world color in the world.) When we came downstairs all of the guys had the same idea!! Also, a lot of other people had decided to wear purple that day so it was just a mass of purple. We all laughed pretty hard and he seemed to think it was funny as well. This is how missionaries in the CCM entertain themselves.

Okay, on Tuesday one of the Latina hermanas came up to me and asked if I was okay. I told her that I was and she said that I never smile!! I was shocked! I don't think anyone has ever told me that before. I thought about it and realized that I haven't been smiling very often. Not because I am sad or angry but because I get stressed around the Latinos because I have a hard time talking to them. So, I made a conscious effort to smile the rest of the week and we enjoy teasing each other. Her name is Hermana Zapota. She is from Bolivia so we talked a lot. I like her a lot and will miss her a ton when she leaves on Tuesday.

Okay, there is a sister in my distric... Hermana Evans. She reminds me almost exactly of Katie. They make the same facial expressions, laugh the same, I seriously would get homesick just being around her!! Not anymore though. She and I are really good friends. My main friends are my companion Hermana Rhoton, Hermana Giles, and Hermana Evans. We just seem to have the same personalities and enjoy spending time together! 

Oh!!! I don't know if you have gotten it back yet but Bryan has Downton abbey!!! If you haven't gotten it back you can message him on my phone or Facebook. Sorry! I forgot!

The flowers here are so different but I love them!! They are spunky and fun!!!

Okay, so I have heard from a lot of people the the first Friday is breakdown day. The day you have had enough and just cry. On Friday I was in such a good mood!! However, on Saturday... I lost it. My companions mom called because she hadn't gotten the email she had sent and was worried so my companion got to email home again. I was frustrated with Spanish, I was homesick... so that night when i was praying before bed I just started to cry. However, after thatthings have been wonderful!! you just have to survive the first week!! I love it here!!!!

I will write more on Tuesday when I email again because I forgot some things. Just know that I love studying all day!! I don't know what I did with my days before I came here because every moment is packed!!! Happy birthday Meredith!!! I can't believe that my P-day is the day AFTER your birthday!! I hope you have a wonderul day and get lots of hugs. Also, Mere!! I am practicing that hand thing just for you! It hurts but practice makes perfect!!

I love you all so much! thank you for you emails! they completely made my whole week. Hasta Martes!!!

Your Bolivian Missionary

Hermana Morey





No comments:

Post a Comment